Well, well, well. What a three weeks I’ve had. Went on a Web London boat cruise, met some nice people, tweeted one of them and now, 22 days later, I have finished my first web project for The Kaldor Group and am getting stuck into the next.
A fluke meeting and perfect timing have landed me in an amazing position. Part intern, part tester, part developer and part designer, I have the opportunity to be involved in a variety of interesting work, learning and contributing, with the benefit of clever colleagues on hand for when I run into difficulty.
The project I have just finished is a Facebook app, raising money for the famine in East Africa, through an innovative calculator designed by The Social Practice. The project, run by 50/50, is based around the horrible truth that a child dies every 6 minutes in East Africa, and so our handy calculator works out how much you earn in 6 minutes, and you decide how many lots of 6 minutes you would like to donate. A great cause, and a chance to work out how much your tea/fag/Facebook break is costing your boss.
I faced my first real IE issues, a web development rite of passage I suppose, but resolved them to a reasonable standard.
And so now I’m on to my next project… a little more design, a little more intimidating and inevitably a little more exciting.